Saint Kentigern has a long and proud history of educating young people to achieve at the highest standard. Saint Kentigern Preschool opened on the Girls’ campus at the beginning of 2011 as a natural extension to the Saint Kentigern family, completing an educational pathway that begins with Preschool, continues on to primary school at the Girls’ or Boys’ School and finishes with students being prepared for university entrance at Saint Kentigern College.
The College in Pakuranga opened in 1953, the realisation of a dream for a group of far-thinking Presbyterian ministers and laymen who had established the St Kentigern Trust in 1949 to found a school for the education of boys. The College took the name of the patron saint of Glasgow, Saint Kentigern, who is also known affectionately in Scotland as Mungo.
The College first opened its doors to girls in 2003 with the number growing quickly as parents came to recognise the benefit of a Saint Kentigern education for both their sons and daughters.
With the gifting of the stately home, Roselle House by Martyn Wilson for the purpose of educating boys, a boys’ primary school, known as Saint Kentigern School opened in 1959 on the Shore Road Campus.
Through the merger of the Corran and Saint Kentigern Trust Boards in May 2009, the Saint Kentigern Trust Board assumed the responsibility for staffing and operations of the school which became known as Saint Kentigern School for Girls–Corran from the start of 2010.
As part of the ‘Saint Kentigern -One Organisation’ review in 2012, Saint Kentigern School for Girls-Corran was renamed Saint Kentigern Girls’ School and Saint Kentigern School was renamed Saint Kentigern Boy’s School.
To provide a complete educational pathway for families, work began on a purpose-built Preschool on the Girls’ School campus which was ready to open at the start of the 2011 academic year. The Preschool quickly filled and it was not long before there was a waiting list for families who were keen for a Saint Kentigern education for their child. The Preschool was formally opened by the Prime Minister, the Right Honourable John Key in a special ceremony in March 2012.
With the change of Principal at the Boys’ School in 2012, the Board also announced a change in leadership structure with Mrs Sandra Hastie, Principal of the Girls’ School, being appointed as Head of Primary to provide strategic leadership for both primary campuses and the Preschool.