The History of the Saint Kentigern schools
The College in Pakuranga opened in 1953, the realisation of a dream for a group of
far-thinking Presbyterian ministers and laymen who had established the St Kentigern Trust in 1949 to found a school for the education of boys. The College took the name of the patron saint of Glasgow, Saint Kentigern, who is also known affectionately in Scotland as Mungo. The following year, 1954, Bruce House opened for boys’ boarding on the College campus. In 2003, the College opened its doors to girls with numbers growing quickly as parents came to recognise the benefit of a Saint Kentigern education for both their sons and daughters. During 2010, boarding accommodation on campus was extended and at the start of 2011, the first female boarders joined the boys at Bruce House.
Roselle House, the gracious stately home on Shore Road that became the nucleus of Saint Kentigern Boys’ School in Remuera, has a long history. Originally built in 1879 as a family home for the Wilson family (part of the Wilson and Horton publishing family), it was passed to one of the sons, John Martyn Wilson, who bequeathed the house to the already established St Kentigern Trust for the ‘sole purpose to educate boys.’ In 1959, a boys’ primary school opened on Shore Road with a roll of 200 boys. The School quickly became renowned for the strong bonds formed with its families, a legacy that has endured. As part of the ‘Saint Kentigern -One Organisation’ review in 2012, Saint Kentigern School was renamed Saint Kentigern Boys’ School.
In May 2009, the Saint Kentigern Trust Board merged with the Trust Board of the former Corran School, with Saint Kentigern assuming the responsibility for staffing and operations of the school that became known as Saint Kentigern School for Girls – Corran from the start of 2010. Both organisations had similar backgrounds and traditions and since the school formerly known as Corran joined the Saint Kentigern community, these traditions have become entwined and strengthened. As part of the ‘Saint Kentigern -One Organisation’ review in 2012, the school was renamed Saint Kentigern Girls’ School.
To provide a complete Saint Kentigern educational pathway for families, work began on a purpose-built Preschool on the Girls’ School campus which was ready to open at the start of the 2011 academic year. The Preschool roll quickly filled and it was not long before there was a waiting list for families who wanted the benefits of a Saint Kentigern education for their child. The Preschool was formally opened by the Prime Minister, the Right Honourable John Key in a special ceremony in March 2012.